Friday, January 08, 2010

Please pray for Prof. Ralph McInerny

Most of you know who Prof. Ralph McInerny is at Notre Dame. He is a world-renown philosopher and very respected in Catholic circles of higher thinking. During my time at ND he agreed to do a few different 'directed readings' courses with me so that I could get around some bad Theology classes. His course on Vatican II quickly turned from a directed reading with me and a few others into a 30 student course. We would meet in his big office (in the Maritain Center) at the Library one night a week -and we would all sit on the floor around him as he explained the documents and 'what went wrong' in the American Church because of misinterpretations.
(Kim Letherby (now with new married name), Bridget Monahan, (Fr. Michael) Tim Monahan, Prof. McInerny, (Fr.) Steve Titus, Bridget (McCarthy) Kauffman, Todd Titus, Mary Kloska and Samuel Vasquez):

Just this last Spring when I was in the Philippines I met a group of Maryknoll seminarians who could not believe that I knew 'the prophet' (which is what they called Prof. McInerny). They had spent last year studying his works and said he changed their lives. Anyway, Theresa sent me this e-mail this morning -he is very sick and needs our prayers.

Hi all, Amy McInerny just e-mailed to ask for prayers for her father-in-law, Ralph McInerny, who I’m sure many of you know as a wonderful philosopher and long time faculty member at ND. He had surgery for esophageal cancer over the summer, and is currently hospitalized with related serious problems. Here’s Amy’s request:

“ I'm writing to ask a small favor. I'm sure you've heard that Ralph is in extremes. Danny called his siblings to come the day before yesterday. Could I trouble you to post a prayer request on the HS group list-serve? I know those CHSM families are powerful prayer warriors! We are pounding heaven for the gift of final perseverance. As Danny said last night on the phone "He is on the cross right now." May he find his heaven in God's merciful time! “


Please keep this holy, good man in your prayers. He truly was a light for the Church -especially at Notre Dame.
+ mary
fiat

15 Comments:

At Friday, January 08, 2010, Blogger slcfranciscan said...

He will be in my rosary tonight.

Gertrude Jude of the Holy Face
Third Order, SSPX

 
At Friday, January 08, 2010, Blogger BK said...

Mary, his recent book, "I Alone Have Escaped to Tell You" is his memoirs. A really interesting, light read. I read the chapter on being an author and wanted to become an author.

 
At Friday, January 08, 2010, Blogger BK said...

Hey Mary, can you give us the names of the people in that picture?

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010, Blogger Michael Barber said...

Let's storm heaven!

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010, Blogger BK said...

Here is part of an email I received:

Dear Friends:
Ralph’s condition is not good, but it is far better than rumors have had it. He is in ICU at the new St. Joseph Medical Center in Mishawaka, on oxygen and an intravenous feeding tube (they’ll try a larger tube directly to the stomach later today). He’s weak and has lost a lot of weight, and he sleeps much of the time. But this is an improvement from last night. He had a procedure recently, in which 1.5 liters of fluid were extracted from his lungs. But the tests he has had show no signs of cancer. I was at the hospital today, but I got to see him (the seeing was one way because he was asleep) for only a few minutes. His children and several close friends are with him all the time. I’ll keep you updated.
Your prayers for Ralph and his family are much appreciated.

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010, Anonymous Terry Lally said...

My prayers to Our Lady of Consolation are with Ralph. He was a professor of mine when he first came to ND in the 50's, and I've been a fan and thought very highly of him through the years. Being a pancreatic cancer survivor myself I have great faith he will live strong in his battle.

God bless, Terry Lally

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010, Anonymous Mack said...

God bless him. I've only read several of his books, but, yes, I know him.

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010, Blogger Rolf said...

Ralph is one of the few real Catholics at Notre Dame.

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010, Blogger BK said...

Actually Rolf, there are many of us. But people not here everyday make lots of assumptions and judgments.

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010, Blogger BK said...

Mary, thanks for posting the names. Knowing what you guys have done with your lives - and TWO priests - is very encouraging! Professor McInerny had such a positive influence!

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010, Blogger Scott and Suzanne said...

I sent the message to Sr. Mary Collette (Tina Goetz) Had to send it snail mail since she's a Poor Clare and all. Her final vows was the last time I saw him. That was a wonderful class. I can still see the twinkle in his eye... "Did I say something funny?"

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010, Blogger mary said...

So, Suzanne's story just made me remember another one about Prof. McInerny. I was at a Catholic University conference out in D.C. my senior year and he was there. My friend Molly (McCarthy) and I walked up to him at the table full of important people and students talking with him and he said: "I knew you two girls were here. You know, I was up in the balcony and I looked down and suddenly smiled because I saw two nice beautiful young girls walk in -and then you guys got in the way of my view!" We laughed so hard -and everyone at the table who did not realize how well we knew him were in shock he would say that. It was so hilarious!

 
At Monday, January 11, 2010, Blogger Joyce said...

Does anyone have an updated?

 
At Monday, January 11, 2010, Blogger BK said...

Joyce, I'll ask for one. Is Alfredo out there? Hello?

 
At Friday, January 15, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This from Alice Osberger today:
Dan McInerny called at noon today – Friday - with this update that he
>asked me to share with Ralph’s friends.
>The family is encouraged that the recent tests showed that there is no
>return of the cancer, and Ralph is closer to being off the respirator.
>He is battling on other fronts. He needs more nutrition. He has some
>kind of infection. He has scar tissue on the lower part of one lung but
>it is not constricting his breathing now and can be treated when he
>gets stronger. Three of his children are with him this week, and his
>daughter Mary will be with him next week. Thank you for your continued prayers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home